Friday, May 31, 2013

my NCLEX-RN experience

This last Tuesday, I took the biggest exam of my life. This is how it works: there's a minimum on 75 questions, they'll stop you at 75 if they're sure you know your stuff or if they're sure you don't. Otherwise you keep going until they're sure or to the maximum of 265 questions. You get 6 hours to test.

I've been preparing for this since the first day of nursing school. But most extensively, the last three weeks. Registering for the exam, alone, is a stressful factor. The pressure built each day. I couldn't sleep very well the two nights before the exam, so test day I was coasting on adrenaline. I was a ball of nerves the entire morning. I ate breakfast and immediately thought I was going to throw it back up; my stomach hurt, I was extra sensitive, and Jeremy put up with me.

We dropped Amelia off with my mom around noon.


A lot can change in two years. Except for my taste in men, of course! The top left picture was taken before we drove to Las Vegas for Jeremy to take his NCLEX. I had no idea what he was in for in the first picture, but he knew exactly what I was going through in the second.

We drove up to the testing center in Bountiful, and arrived an hour early. While I was reviewing some last minute lab values, Jeremy wove through the streets and we ended up at the Bountiful Temple:


I was on the brink of tears. Jeremy gave me a (father's) blessing, and tried to get me to laugh. Then he drove me back to the testing center, while I focused on my breathing.

The whole checking in process is kind of ridiculous. I had my hand/fingers scanned about 50 times to make sure I was me, and not my twin trying to take the test for me. The boy that arrived right after me asked, "so are you excited?" I stared at him and said, "no." (awkward) then I added, "I'm excited to get it over with." I'm so terrible with small talk when I'm stressed out.

We went into the exam room, I put my earplugs in, I was shaking through the tutorial they make us watch, and right before my exam starts, I prayed. I can't tell you exactly what questions my exam included. I can tell you that I had a lot of alternative answer questions, and I had a lot of questions that I had no idea what was being asked. My two OB questions- never heard of the diagnoses, never heard of the symptoms. I stuck with my gut answers, flew through the questions, I felt so at peace. The exam shut off at 75 questions, and I was only somewhat surprised. There was no gut feeling that I had passed, but I wasn't terrified that I had failed.

When I called Jeremy, he laughed and said it hadn't even been an hour, "75 and out, huh? did you make NCLEX your biotch?" He drove me back south, where I scarfed down some food and we went to watch Fast 6. My paranoia didn't get the best of me that night.

The next day I spent focusing my energy making Amelia's birthday invitations; it was a great distraction. However, two of my friends who also took the NCLEX on Tuesday already had their licenses posted. Every hour I refreshed the DOPL website, and every hour there was zero results for Liana Bodtcher. It was a terrible thing to do to myself, and I quit at 1 in the morning.

My friend Christie texted me at 7 in the morning, "I just checked DOPL, congrats!" I couldn't be satisfied until I saw it myself. Ah, those five seconds after I saw my name were unbelievably amazing. Hallelujah, I was finally done.

So that's why I've been MIA lately. I'll probably continue to be MIA while I plan this giant party and look for a job. I've got a list of things I want to blog about when I get the chance... I'm so grateful for my family and friends who got me through the last four years. So grateful for blessings and the power of prayer that kept me calm through my test. So grateful that I'm done!!!!!!!!


ps. I ran for 98 minutes today. That's 10 miles. BAM I still got it! :)

6 comments:

  1. nice work girl! Super proud of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing! Sorry to stress you about seeing my license so early. Also, you're awesome for running ten miles. I ran 4 blocks the other day and threw up. I turned around and walked home. Definitely not my finest moment. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks What a great info you have given us by your blog.

    MCAT questions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could only imagine how nervous you were! not to mention all the preparation you made for the exam... I'm glad to know that you passed the test!!! Can you give me some tips on how to pass NCLEX? I'm using a lot materials right now like ebooks , my NCLEX mobile app to pass but it wouldn't hurt to take an advice from someone who already made it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gem! Thanks for you comment. Have you graduated yet? Here is my secret: I used the Virtual ATI review (http://www.atitesting.com/Solutions/PostGraduation/nclex/virtual-ati.aspx). I knew it was worth my money, because my husband had used the same review and passed with 95 questions. His school had offered it for free, and my school had required us to test with ATI, so I was an existing user. Both of us refused to pay for apps, review sessions, etc. during nursing school, because we realized this was the key to passing. Here's how it works: They break down the review into different sections (fundamentals, pharm, OB, etc.) For each section you take a pre-test, if you get over a certain percentage (70% maybe?), your coach lets you move on. If not, your coach directs you to exactly where you need to review, and then gives you a second exam that you should "pass." In the end, you will take a comprehensive exam as well. Here's why I am an ATI advocate because: 1) their practice exams mimic NCLEX exams almost exactly 2) The virtual coach tailors your review exactly to what you need, so you don't have to worry about which area to study 3) the coach is master degree nurse with plenty of experience, and is available to you 6 days a week 4) it works! I think it has a money back guarantee if you don't pass on your first try.

      I know this was a little long-winded, but I swear by this method! Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. This is a really useful review for ATI! It's very helpful. Would you be willing to write a review for them on ExamReviewExpert to help more students and spread the word? This is a new website that I've created. I made it after graduating nursing school, but before taking my NCLEX, because there were so many choices out there!

      You can be the first one to write something for ATI!

      http://www.examreviewexpert.com/nclex/ati.php

      Delete