Thursday, November 8, 2012

registration for the last time.

i'm a pretty excitable person, i would say.

for our last semester of nursing,
we are required an approved upper-level elective.
our options are:
critical care, medical spanish, and gerontology.
not that i hate gerontology, but it's not my field of passion. though easy 'a' sounds tempting.
not that i'm an expert, but i've taken four years of spanish. plus it is a 330-630 pm course, meaning i wouldn't get home until 8 pm on wednesday nights. capital h no- i'm way too old for that.
that leaves me with critical care.
intense.
2 hours.
with the infamous monte roberts.
perfect for an aspiring labor and delivery nurse, am i right?

too bad everyone and their grandma and their grandma's dog wants to be in that class.
and too bad the course capped at 20 students.
the course was full before i even had a chance to look at registration.
heartbroken. and annoyed.
austin and i are raving about it together.

fast forward to today.
monte mass-emails all 65 of us he's opening 5 more spots. oh, just sometime today.
freaking. out.
austin is next to me on his laptop refreshing the registration page every 5 seconds.
midway during a break, he whispers
registration is open. 2 spots left.

OH. kay.
calm down.
i log in to my cis. try to sign up for the course.
"you have a time conflict. please drop your spanish coursë."
dang. that's what i get for trying to be prepared.
my hands are shaking so bad i can't proceed.
austin takes over.
i think he tries dropping my spanish course like fifty times with his stupid slow computer.
and somehow registration keeps rejecting me "due to time conflict."
meanwhile my good friend alicia is registering behind me.
meanwhile mikyla is whispering "so and so is back there on his computer trying to register too."
two spots left. three people registering. i am freaking out.
hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry
probably the most annoying thing austin has to hear when he's trying to help me out.

then i see it.
you have successfully registered for this course.

i literally jump up from my seat
throw my arms in the air
screaming.
my heart was racing. serious as a heart attack.

yup.
alicia got in too.
we took the last two slots.

good thing i still have the thrill of college registration to keep me young, right?

today,
i am grateful for all my luck this past year.
seriously.
these have been life-defining, life-changing crossroads for me.
getting in the critical care class,
getting in the maternity clinical,
...getting pregnant.

lucky me.
so grateful.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment