Saturday, January 12, 2013

hard things

"we can do hard things"

I've always believed it.
I don't think think there's been a moment since high school where I didn't.
I mean honestly,
who works to pay for cheer and dance company and graduates with an associates degree?
when I realized I couldn't get my bachelor's of nursing in three years, I decided to double major with psychology.
of course, I had to get pregnant as soon as I started nursing school.
and to finish senior year off with a bang, I had to do sac presidency, service learning, and critical care elective.

I just kinda keep pushing along, and somehow I get through.
(with lots of help)

the critical care class is dang hard.
like dang hard. :(
there was some significant moments I came across this week.
many of them involved tears.
I just kept thinking a week,
i can do this. right? i can!
i can't. i just can't do one more thing. i can't handle one more thing.
just suck it up. just do it.
but then "one more thing"(s) just kept happening.
like finding out my senior nursing project had to be at my service learning site, so now I have to start volunteer hours on top of school, on top of 2-3 twelves.
like getting no sleep.
like having to drive in that snowstorm after a long shift with my baby.
like worrying about making the U's USNA a legit chapter.
like trying to figure out what's next to feed my baby
like getting sick again, and being extra emotional.

I think some things are harder than others, and some things are harder for some people than others.
sometimes, hard things include making a decision.
and I've been resisting this decision for over a week.

I dropped critical care.
instead I am taking gerontology, NURS 5050 (yeah, in the 5000's!)

now I can focus on my priorities.
including one of my own mantras:
you can't just serve others only when it is convenient for you.
as well as the hubs and our babe, eating, taking care of my body.
and I can do things I want to do, like blogging. and playdates and exercising and cooking.

xo
you can do hard things.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you dropped it. You'll be so much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you dropped it! It was ridiculous!!! I thought it was going to be so helpful for the NCLEX but it's just too much freakin work! We need to be moms first. That's all their is to it. If you don't have time to be a mom....then decision made!!


    Love you:)

    ReplyDelete