Friday, January 25, 2013

never working

the last couple of years have been really good to me.
i was really lucky to get into nursing school,
really blessed to have a surprise baby,
really lucky to draw out maternity clinicals for the third semester lottery,
and really really lucky to get a labor and delivery capstone.

all the paving the way for me to be labor and delivery nurse.

I'm proud to announce a few accomplishments:
charted like crazy,
found cervixes and correctly declared dilation and effacement (!!!!!)
had my first sucessful unmedicated delivery (!!!!!!)

as you can imagine,
working on labor and delivery isn't all golden.
I've worked 6 twelve hour shifts and at least half have been really discouraging.

but my goodness, those babies are heavenly.
my favorite part of the day is seeing that beautiful, serosanguinous head.
mom pushing until she's red in the face,
the provider holding up that tiny newborn,
and then seeing dad cry, seeing mom cry, seeing their eyes meet.
those moments are so powerful.
the love in the room is indescribable.
I still tear up everytime I see this.
this is why I do what I do.

"choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life."

(obviously I can't take or post any pictures of my patients, so I'm sharing this favorite of mine.
it's no wonder why I want to have so many children when I am so blessed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment