Monday, March 30, 2015

scarlett: 3 months



I am trying so hard to document and remember Scarlett's baby stages. I seriously cannot believe she is a quarter of a year old! Time sure flies with babes. You've seen those first-time-mom-second-time-mom comparison commercials, right? Those are totally true. I feel a little bad for Scarlett, but at the same time think she's going to get away with a lot more than Amelia ever did.


We are definitely on a baby-led routine. I thought maybe we could get an every-three-hour routine down by now (because let's be honest, she's 13 weeks old!), but here's the truth: Scarlett eats when she tells me she's hungry, sleeps when she's tired, plays when she's not doing the other two. Scarlett usually sleeps from 9 pm to 5 in the morning, has a quick (or long, who knows because I'm asleep) feeding and goes back to sleep. This last week she has been waking up to feed at 2, 4, and 6; each time flirting her way to more time in my arms (I know I shouldn't, but her smiles and coos just melt me!) Scarlett loves her mornings watching Amelia and I get ready and eat breakfast. She tires quickly and usually needs a nap shortly afterwards-- probably from 10 - noon. If I'm lucky, we can all play until 2 pm, and both girls will go down for a nap. Sometimes, the girls will stagger their naps, and Scarlett and I will play and do tummy time on our own. We've been trying to not let her nap past 5... ha! (again, she's the second babe, so I do what I can)


I have grown to love this sweet giant personality in my little babe. For the most part, she's a calm soul (gentle giant like dad), but lately she's presented her healthy set of lungs and definitely makes sure she is not forgotten. We love her giggles and squeals and her squishy cheeks and girly lips and long toes. There's only been a handful of times where she is extra fussy and I feel overwhelmed-- I wonder if she'll teeth early like her sister? (She's been extra drooly these days too) Now's the time!


She does not love laying down, especially if we aren't nearby completely focused on her. For the most part, she is sitting up in a lap or standing up or propped up in some way. She has sat up for a few seconds by herself here and there, but I'm not stressing her milestones. The bumbo comes in so handy during mealtimes; she loves being a part of the family (I think the isolation was making her nuts)! She loves the Solly Baby Wrap, and usually falls asleep on our afternoon walk. Takes a binky, but sucks on her fists as it's more readily available. Calm during her bath, but so upset afterwards. She loves peek-a-book + "the wise/foolish man". Hates tummy time, and rolls over as soon as I put her in place.



Babygurl has outgrown newborn clothes (I tried putting a newborn dress on her, and it wouldn't button in the back!) 0-3 month clearly fit her better, and they don't even drown her! I'm excited that Amelia's 3 month fall clothes fit perfectly for Scarlett's first spring. I sure love dressing my real-life doll! (She is wearing a 0-9 month onesie in these photos) Still in size 1 diapers, but I have a little feeling she's going to outgrow them soon. She's always been such an efficient nurser... probably 10 minute tops per feeding, and I use to be so worried about it. Jeremy tells me she eats around 3 ounces per feeding, and I can pump at least 14 ounces per night (at work, not in addition to feeding her... ha!), so I think that's where her sweet cheeks come from. I just adore my squishy babe.



Scarlett still sleeps in a bassinet in our room, and probably will until she's sleeping through the night (our hallway is just too long). Motherhood is exhausting and hardly easy and the most incredible thing I've ever done. I love this sweet little spirit so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment