Saturday, December 8, 2012

3 years ago...

I lived in a rented house in sugarhouse. It was my freshman year at the U. Those were the days I was learning the joys and the difficulties of being independent. It was a snowing, biting cold day, just like today. I was suppose to be studying for finals, just like right now. Instead I was doing some lame facebook survey and texting this cute guy all day. It was the exciting, flirtatious kind of texting you do went you're getting to know someone and you're both kind of into each other, and you both really know it.

He was coming over after his anatomy class at the SLCC, south city campus around 8 p.m. Thankfully that was not one of the days I order a large pizza hut veggie supreme and ate the entire thing in one sitting. But it was one of the days I was in my pajamas, cozily studying with my hot chocolate, or maybe it was coffee back then. I see a silver toyota tacoma pull up to the front of my house, anxiously waited for a knock at the front door, but instead recieve a text reading, "does your house have a for rent sign in front of it?" (my landlady was looking). Inpatiently, I open the front door, and wave him in.

He had the cutest, shyest smile.

Somehow we decided to go to walmart. Romantic, I know. We walked around the store looking at random things. I put a scarf on him, and he let me take a picture of him in it. (so weird, because later I found out stubborn he was). We walked by the 5-dollar movies, and I wanted to buy a scary movie to watch together, to which he said, "you know I can probably get you any of these movies for free right?" I picked out these cheap his and hers picture frames I found. Of course I got a tub of hot chocolate. We walked up to the cashier, and suddenly I realized I had no wallet. This guy graciously pays for everything. I promise I will pay him back. The cashier says, "no you won't. just let your boyfriend pay for your stuff." I stammer and stutter in protest. The cashier raises his eyebrows probably thinking, i really don't care that much...

We leave. He opens his giant truck door for me, and has to help me climb in with all my little treasures. I just remember thinking how sexy I thought his jeans were. ha. Unfortunately, I use to have this suspicion that everyone was out to kill me, that he would drive me to some dark alleyway, commit this murder, leave me in some dumpster to rot. So I started panicking, and really wanted him to take me home (I know, you are thinking I am insane).

We get to my house. My room, to be specific. He says he needs to leave, but agrees to watch the first half of Vacancy. We can't get it to work on my super lame laptop. So I beg him to watch P.S. I love you with me. We're squeezed really close the entire movie, you know, so we can both see it on the laptop. I get tears in my eyes. Still can't believe her husband died. This cute guy is so sweet to watch the entire chick flick with me. After it's over, we're talking in the dark.

He keeps getting these calls. I just keep hearing buzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzz. He checks it. It's his brother. "he's probably just wondering where I am." I'm thinking, do you live with your brother? Is he always this annoying? buzzzzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzz Embarrassed, he checks his phone again. They text back and forth. I catch a glimpse of what his brother texts back: ''well next time you are staying out late, you better let someone know. I thought you were laying out in the snow somewhere with your head cracked open or something." (I definitely edited this; there was some choice words he included). He says he really needs to go. I couldn't decide if I was still turned on at this point.

Next thing I know, we have our arms around each other. Our faces are kind of really close, so are our lips. Fast forward two hours. It's 2 a.m. "I should really go, I need to get some sleep for my final tomorrow" This time I let him. Not that it helped at all, since he keeps texting me all night.

I fell in love with that cute man that night. I let him know it within a week, too. I stopped drinking and cleaned my life up quite a bit. He proposed to me seven months later. We were married exactly ten months from that night, sealed for time and eternity exactly a year and a half from that night, had a baby exactly two and a half years from that night.

Now it's three years from December 8th, 2009. I'm not celebrating with that cute man tonight, because he's working his guts out to support his girls. But I adore him so much. This cute guy that saved my broken life, and loved me for every messed up piece I was. I am the luckiest.

 

I am so grateful for the last three years with this man. I am so lucky to get many more, too.

I love you forever, Jeremy Ray.
I love being your missus.

No comments:

Post a Comment