Tuesday, June 11, 2013

freedom isn't free.

Ever since I had a baby, I have wanted to make holidays extra special, extra meaningful.
Memorial Day rolled around and I was so focused on my NCLEX exam, and so nervous to do anything aside from study. So glad I decided to celebrate:
 
Amelia and I went to the zoo with the Bodtchers (Dad had to work the night before and sleep that morning). Abi and Ava just adore Amelia and it's so tender watching them show her new things, offer to hold her, kiss her, walk with her, etc. I sure love my nieces.
 

 
Apparently, I didn't get the silly face memo in the first picture.....


 
Ava wanted to push my stroller the entire day, even up that giant hill! So glad I had my little helper, and it looks like Amelia was pretty content with it too!
 
After the zoo, we headed to Jeremy's foster brother, Cody's grave. I never had the chance to meet him, but he had a huge impact on this family. While visiting his grave, I considered how lucky and blessed I was/am for not knowing too many people who have passed on, and also for the knowledge of eternal families.
 
Amelia and I went home. I studied while she napped. Around 5 pm, our little family of three headed to our church parking lot to start the first annual neighborhood Memorial Day parade. (My friend Katie planned the entire event for her four boys, and invited all of us to join her! She is so brilliant and I'm so grateful for this experience!) The kids rode on their decorated bikes/scooters and their parents followed behind.

 
We started with the Pledge of Allegiance at the Zander's home. Then we visited veterans in our wards and listened to their stories and asked them questions. The little boys kept asking, "have you shot ever shot a gun?" "have you ever used a tank?" "have you ever..." etc. etc. Their eyes and hearts were full of curiosity, and I adore them for it.

 
A lot of the kids were making "whoaaaaaaaaa, no way" faces like Amelia is modeling here.

 
Our veterans/armed forces sacrifice so much for us, and their families do too. It's easy to forget how lucky we are to live in a free country, where we speak what we want, where we choose our own president, where gather religiously if we desire. It's easy to live our lives and forget those who fight for our rights and our freedoms. I'm so grateful to those who sacrifice so much for my family and I, and I'm grateful for Memorial Day for the reminder that freedom isn't really free at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment