Wednesday, June 12, 2013

june eighths are kinda a big deal around here.

because it is the day I remember giving birth.
I ran a half marathon that morning dedicated to my sweetie, and she slept through the entire thing (cute girl). When we got home, we got her in her birthday dress and fed her a healthy amount of breakfast.
 
Then it was present unwrapping time:
 
 
She's still getting the hang of it. Not really sure why she has to keep unwrapping when she can just play with what's in front of her.

 
She got a baby doll crib, complete with a mobile! I love the fact that she fits in it herself. gah!


 
We went swimming in the splash pad, because that's her new favorite thing. There were two older boys (brothers) there who just adored Amelia. They kept playing with her, talking to her, showing her their pool toys, etc. Most darling thing ever.

 
Every afternoon, Amelia and I walk across the street to get the mail. We couldn't miss it on her birthday, especially when she loves grabbing the letters out of the slot, especially when she loves examining them in the shade under a nearby tree, especially when she loves finding ladybugs and grabbing for them (okay we're working on that...).

 
Something else that I feel necessary to include: Mealtimes had been difficult the few weeks before Amelia's birthday (like she wouldn't eat. at all. and we were all pretty miserable). On her birthday, she decided to eat like a champ... as in her entire meal, with no cheerio bribing! It was glorious! 


 
We ran some last minute party errands, and headed over to grandma and grandpa Bodtcher's, where they spoiled Amelia rotten. (ps. that picture on the left? happens every time we go over.)

 
My little mommy. Amelia held that baby doll and fed her from a bottle and pushed her in the stroller. I hadn't anticipated how touching this would be. Melts my heart every time she acts motherly.

 

We sang happy birthday for the 17th time that day and helped Amelia blow out her candle. Can you believe her!? She devoured that cupcake in a matter of minutes! The picture on the right, where she's picking her nose? yeah, we hadn't cleaned that high chair up at all. She's lucky she's so cute! :)


I can't fully express what it means to be a mother. There are plenty of quotes out there about motherhood that I love, but none of them are all-encompassing. Becoming a mother is life-changing (obviously), but in so many ways that are unanticipated. For example, as much as a I love surprises, unplanned events usually stress me out. From the get-go, Amelia has been the definition of unplanned. I had to throw away my check-off lists, and schedules, and routines, and really learn what "going with the flow" meant. Like, really really winging it, because nothing really prepares you for motherhood. How can something so challenging be so amazing and rewarding at the same time? Who knows.

Amelia babe gives me kisses and wraps her arms around me. She jumps up and down in her crib when I come get her in the mornings. She says, "dog" "duck" "fishee" "stop" "hello", and of course "mama" and "DAD". She has eight solid teeth, and she loves to show them off. She giggles when she walks (yes, she full on walks now), and she loves playing ''I'm. gonna. get. you!!!!!!!!" and peek-a-boo. She doesn't take routine naps; sometimes I get one 15-minute nap, yesterday she took two 90-minute naps. She breastfeeds in the morning and at bedtime, and we try to get a healthy meal plus breastmilk and green smoothie in a sippy in three times a day. She enjoys getting the mail and watering mama's vegetables on the back deck.

Gosh, I just love her so much sometimes it hurts. All I do is show people pictures of her and brag about how darling she is. I can't believe it's been a whole year since she was placed on my chest and I met those beautiful eyes. I'm just so grateful to be her mama.



Oh, June 8th is also important because Jeremy and I were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple two years ago. Love that man for making me a wife and for helping me become a mommy.

Julie saved our wedding cake, that we never ate on our first anniversary. umm? She said she was throwing it out, but good on us for making it 2.5 years!

 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment