Thursday, November 20, 2014

just call me al borland

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but our sleigh bed broke a few months ago. You know the black one that matches our dresser and night stand? Yikes! I wanted to replace the awkward hole with something, but all my research indicated I either needed to put down $190490398 to buy a new headboard or maybe look into some DIY. So, off to pinterest I went.

Can I just say that the tutorials out there aren't that great? I'm a look through the pictures, that seems do-able, kinda gal. Unfortunately, I hadn't set out to do a tutorial and do not have many pictures to show for this project. Bear with me though! It's so easy, and so worth the $50!!! I debated a long time on how I wanted to do this, especially since I knew Jer had hesitations with putting holes into our walls to hang anything (seriously, all our photos are hung with command strips). Finally, I took the plunge and went to Home Depot and Hobby Lobby by myself to get all the materials

Materials:
cheapest sturdy 4'x8' plywood board- $9
two 2"x4"x14' boards - $6.50 +$1 (I got a piece on clearance, score!)
foam- $16
2 yards of duck fabric- $ 12

I measured around our queen bed and decided I wanted our board to be 60" x 35" Home Depot has amazing customer service and will cut anything to size for you! I told the man helping me I was making a headboard, and wanted the cheapest board I could get my hands on. He literally asked me, "Well, are you going to be banging against it a lot?" Seriously, still dying about this. Anyways, I had him cut the plywood to size, and the 2"x 4"s into pieces to frame around the back, flush with the plywood and one extra piece for the center to prevent bowing of the board (wow, if that wasn't a run on sentence, not sure what is).


Don't worry, my 25 week bump and I didn't really do any of the framing... Jeremy doesn't really trust me with his tools. HA! Thanks babe, for supporting my projects!

Finally, the easy part... hand-stapling the foam and fabric to the wood. It's really as easy as it sounds... just staple, staple, staple. I also had a hammer handy to nail in the staples tight. Don't be like me and staple yourself twice... Also, don't be like me and bang yourself on the head and the thumb. I text this information to Jeremy, and he called to make sure I didn't give myself a concussion.

Oh my land, I'm proud of this piece of work! Sorry this wasn't a great tutorial, it wasn't meant to be! I'm just proud that I was able to think outside the box to create something on my own. Oh and ps. Jer "put holes in our walls" and this headboard is hung behind our bed.



xoxo

1 comment:

  1. lets see the bed all done/?? way to go! its hard to do things like this.. meaning its hard to get yourself to get the stuff and get it done start to finish.

    ReplyDelete