Friday, May 18, 2012

cocinmos amor

since I've finished the semester, I've found plenty of things to occupy my time.
cleaning, crafting, errands, etc.
one thing I hope to become great at at some point in my life is cooking,
and grocery shopping planning.

for now, I'm still a novice
and really proud of my baby steps.

if you guys didn't know,
Jeremy loves chicken gnocchi soup from olive garden.
looooooooooves it!

I'm pretty good at looking up recipes online and following directions,
and I would say my soup was pretty successful...
here are some pictures and instructions for you:

3 lbs potato
2 cups flour
1 extra large egg
pinch of salt
(I also added rosemary, just to "spice" things up a bit)
1/2 cup canola oil

1. boil potatoes for about 45 minutes
2. peel the potatoes (yeah, found out we don't have a peeler, so I did this by hand)
3. run potatoes through vegetable mill (we don't have this either, so I also smashed them by hand)
4. add flour, egg, salt to potatoes and kneed into a nice ball :)


5. cut and roll dough (?) into nice little gnocchi bites


here's the semi-tricky part:
You want to have a pot of boiling water and a pot of ice water
6. drop the gnocchi into the boiling water
7. when all the gnocchi rises, put them in the ice bath.
8. you will know they are ready when they sink to the bottom.

while this is all happening, utitlize your time into cutting and rolling more gnocchi!


9. when you have cooked all your gnocchi, toss in 1/2 cup of canola oil.

this makes a LOT of gnocchi.
I put the rest of mine in a ziplock bag to freeze
(you know, saving some food for when the baby comes and the exhaustion kicks in)


as for the soup itself...
you just need some broth, veggies, half & half, spices, and meat of your choice.
I used: celery, carrots, spinich, mushrooms, and corn.
mincing is key.
Jeremy only likes one thing in that list, but he drank my soup up!

this probably took me a whole day's prep.
it's a good thing that I have time to practice and learn recipes on my days of rest....



I'm not the only one that's amazing though: 

I was exhausted from work today, and took a 2 hour nap as soon as a I got home.
the cutie husband made us dinner!
burritos (with fake meat, red&green peppers, and taco seasoning)

just look at us!
growing up and making our own meals.

1 comment:

  1. your gnocchi was so great! and cute of jer to cook for you :)

    ReplyDelete