Friday, October 17, 2014

meeting queen elsa





I debated on taking Amelia to the "princess party" storytime at the library, mostly because I tried to avoid all things "princess-y" and gender conforming. Amelia has been asking about princesses for a few months now, but without experience in movies, mostly all she knows is that they wear crowns and frilly dresses. We decided to go the morning of, and she was so excited! She was a bit timid meeting Queen Elsa, but eventually warmed up and gave her a hug. She listened diligently to her stories, she participated fairly in the hot potato (brace let) game, she waited patiently for her signed autograph and picture.

I was so impressed, I wondered why I was hesitant about the situation to begin with. Princesses are kind, patient, selfless, smart, beautiful on the inside and out. The movies have taught us (me) multiple life lessons to carry with us: to be kind to others and optimistic, even when life seems hopeless; to look past faces that are different and see the good and beauty in others; to be curious and seek out adventure in life; to fight for what you believe in; to build friendships, even where cultural and language barriers may exist; the list goes on and on. I hope my daughter learns these lessons and remembers them like I do. I hope she remembers she is a true princess: daughter of a King, and destined to be a Queen someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment