Wednesday, October 1, 2014

27

Dear Scarlett,

Last week Daddy and I were having fun guess when you'd arrive and all your stats. I thought I'd write them down for memories sake:

Daddy is betting you:
come on: December 19th
at: 7:00 am
weighs: 7 pounds even and
measures: 21 inches

I'm hoping you:
come on: December 26th
at: 9:12 am
weighing in at: 7 pounds 2 ounces and
measuring: 20.5 inches

Let's be honest here. We had a little scare the last few days worrying about you. I had been feeling contractions while we were working through the middle of the night together-- Braxton Hicks contractions, nothing serious and nothing to worry about. On Friday night, I noticed I had been feeling more of them during our shift, and was getting a little more anxious. On Saturday night, I started counting them; there was four the first hour, then six, and then we got a little busy admitting a new patient. I was hesitant to call the on-call OB doctor, because it wasn't our Dr. Thackeray. At the end of the shift on Sunday morning, I considered going downstairs to labor and delivery for an evaluation. but decided to wait it out. I felt three or four contractions on our twenty minute drive home. I woke Daddy up, and together we decided to pray for the best and get some sleep. The contractions didn't subside, and by nighttime they had hit seven per hour. We finally decided to go to the hospital for a labor eval and the contractions were picking up every 2-4 minutes. Thankfully, my cervix wasn't changing and all labs for infection came back negative. We were sent home to rest lots, hydrate, and follow up the next day with Dr. Thackeray. I had contractions all day Monday and Tuesday, was feeling pretty emotional and hysterical. We went in Tuesday afternoon for a fetal fibronectin test. By this point, I was sobbing, worrying about what we would actually do if you came early. I can deal with constant nausea, but having a premie is the last thing I'd want! Dr. Thackeray talked to us about our options and told us my cervix was still closed-- such a relief. He called us a few hours later to tell us the fFn test results were negative; I felt a huge weight was lifted off my heart! I've still been feeling frequent contractions, but no longer worrying with each one. For now, we're just hydrating lots, going back to our normal routine, and following up in three weeks!

I'm glad those emotional days are behind us. Really, I just want you to be healthy and safe. I love you more than you know! Hoping to grow you for at least another 10 weeks! (but 12-13 would be more preferable)

xo,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment